Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A conversation with my daughter...

Wow, its been a long time since I posted. So much has happened since October. My husband remained unemployed for almost 3 months, My youngest had her 3rd heart surgery, and we moved. My husband recently started working again with his old company, but its not a secure position. Work is not a guarantee for him right now. We are moving ahead though, looking forward instead of backward.
Tonight I had a cute and interesting conversation with my oldest daughter. Marcelina, is 7 years old and as of late has been asking a lot about God and the Bible. I must admit that we are not church goers. We consider ourselves Christian, but I think most would consider us lazy or worse when it comes to this. We have done a poor job at teaching our children how to be "Christian." Of course we teach them to be good people and respect others.
Marcelina has a Bible Storybook, she's had it for years, and honestly I think its meant for toddlers. She has taken a big interest in it recently and then has lots of questions for me. I answer them as best as I can. Alex (my husband) and I have talked about finding a church, since we have never belonged to one. We have an idea as to where we plan on going, we just have to do it.
Marcelina tonight actually asked me if we could "chit chat" about God and Heaven. I think SomeOne is sending me a message through my daughter.
A few of her questions:
How did God make the earth?
Is Jesus dead? Is He in Heaven? Can we talk to him? Can you talk when you are in Heaven? Does everyone die? Why do they die? Who will die first you or Daddy? Will I be able to talk to you? Whats a spirit, where is it in your body?
As you can probably tell my answer to each question led to another question. I enjoyed our conversation but realized, that I have not done my job at all, and that I'm failing my daughter if I don't make changes soon.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good age appropriate Bible for Marcelina. I was going to do some research, but possibly some of you have recommendations? My Hubby and I will have to chat about Church.
We also somehow proceeded to chat about puberty.... we didn't get far. She got giggly and whispered: Don't talk about that! She's too cute! One day at a time I guess!

No comments: